April 8, 2012

Treasures!


Jesus is alive! That's something I treasure!


I hope you find peace, joy and hope in that fact too.

We've already finished the batch of Hot Cross Buns I made on Friday.  I was going to make some more, till I hopped on the scales this morning!!! I don't normally eat margarine or butter, but it sure tasted good on those hot buns, and I'm afraid I did indulge.

Last night I ironed a whole heap of doilies. These are not any old doilies, but each one was exquisitely crocheted by my wonderful mother. Whenever she had a spare moment she would be crocheting and I was the recipient of many of her masterpieces. Here they are airing on the table before I put them away:


We have a house full of traditional classic walnut furniture (well, walnut veneer in most cases!) which lends itself to having these beautiful doilies displayed on them.  I change them every few months or so to enjoy a different array of her work.  As you can imagine, these are among my treasured possessions.

Something else I treasure is retirement and having time to spend doing things I love - like stitching! I'm making a quilt to cover our half-size pool table and have been having fun doing something different with what starts out as a very ordinary block:


I'm using up some more of the Rue St Germaine fabric that I used for the Consider the Lilies quilt.


This is now the sixth project that I've made from this range of fabric and I am still enjoying the lovely colours and design of the material.  I reckon that qualifies it to be called a fabulous range when you don't get sick of using it!

Another lovely set of fabric that I've been working with this week is the Butterscotch and Roses range by Fig Tree Quilts:



There's just the hanging sleeve to finish now on this wall hanging. Fabric like that makes a designer's life easy!

There won't be too much stitching done over the next couple of days as I will be focussing on another of my special treasures - family!  We're looking forward to having family members who live relatively near (about half of us) with us for some celebrations tomorrow.

I hope you enjoy thinking about your special treasures too.

Happy stitching!
Val

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

have a lovely time with your family Val.xx

Susan said...

What a gorgeous collection of doileys.

StitchinByTheLake said...

He is risen - hallelujah! blessings, marlene

Little Penpen said...

Happy Easter! the doilies are beautiful...what a treasure!

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh my! What a wonderful treasure to have your mother's exquisite doilies!!! Thanks for sharing them with us.... Happy Easter!!!!

Janelle said...

Happy Birthday Mum! Can't wait to see all your crafty things when I come to visit today!

barbara woods said...

being retired is great isn't it