September 26, 2010

Enchanted Garden

This is the fourth year in a row that I have been asked to teach at the Creative Craft Retreat to be held 5-7 November at the beautiful Lake Perseverance Recreation Centre, near Crow’s Nest in Queensland.  It is a fabulous, well-organised, fun weekend of indulging in all things creative.  Hop over to the website to see all the classes being offered by very accomplished teachers.

This year I am focussing on embroidery and will be teaching the
Enchanted Garden Pincushion and Needlecase.


I had such fun working this design.  Here is some of the detail on the pincushion:


I've used nine different embroidery stitches and some lovely variegated threads.


And here's the needlecase.  I've always been enchanted by toadstools, hence the name I have called the pattern.


I'd love to have you in my class if you live within distance in Queensland!

.................................

My week has been taken up with more sorting, throwing out and packing.  I'm actually quite enjoying the process of packing up our whole household again.  It is quite refreshing to be able to throw so much out!!!  I'm not a hoarder, but I can't believe how much I have that I don't need!  Next weekend we are having a Garage Giveaway when people will be invited to come and take what they want of our discards, and we will have a donation box if people want to give to the Pakistan Flood Relief Fund that our Church is operating.  Should be fun! 

I have already given quite a few of my 40 odd pot plants away. My orchids have been looking lovely. 



Some of my plants have seen up to four moves over the last 30 years, but this time I am only taking two with me.  I've become too lazy (and too focussed on sewing!) to give them all the care they need with water, fertilizer and repotting.  No doubt I will buy four or five when we settle in our new home, but I am going to try to keep the total number down to half a dozen!

My husband and I try to go for a 3 km walk each morning and I took my camera with me one day.  There are quite a number of swan and duck families on the river at the moment.  These six cygnets are growing very fast:


Just 18 days more and we will be heading towards some warmer weather and different scenery!

Regards
Val

8 comments:

Christine M said...

Hi Val, Your pin cushion and needlecase are lovely. I love the varigated threads you've used. Regards, Christine

BubzRugz said...

wow - the time is just flying by - you have done well to be so organised to fit in a teaching session so soon after moving! Not sure if I will be able to get there - but would love to - be fun to do the project but also meet you -
Hugz

ozjane said...

Lovely project and lovely orchid also.
I have a couple of yellow ones that are sort of hidden away in the bed of orchid pots....now the handyman is back...I can see a good weed coming.

Marsha B said...

Your stitching is just beautiful! Best of luck with your move!

Teresa said...

They are beautiful, just like all your designs. I wish I lived close enough to come to one of your workshops.

Loralynn said...

I love your pincushion and needlecase! Your work is so even a precise, really lovely!

Di said...

Your stitching is just delightful.Will the pattern be available for purchase? Love the orchids, my Mum grows them too..

Stitched With Prayer said...

Val, I was just wandering around here in blogland and found your blog. I am so excited to find another blog that has so much beautiful stitchery. I love making quilt tops but while I am recovering from surgery I have discovered the joy of using stitcheries in quilts. Oh, I've know how to stitch for many, many years but lost the feeling in my hands 6 years ago and had to give up the very intricate things. BUT, I found that my hands will co-operate with the simpler embroidery stitches and I am once again totally loving doing some hand needlework. Your patterns are wonderful. I especially love and appreciate the wonderful Gifts of Grace BOM patterns. The scriptures are so inspiring, as are the stitcheries. Thank you so very much for sharing your talents. I have already printed out the first 8 blocks in the set and plan to trace them this evening after preparing the fabric. I just wished I lived close enough to attend your classes. However, since I don't fly, and I live in Utah, US...I guess it will just be long distance visits to your blog. Thanks again! Hugs...